3 Days of Pantry Menus and Recipe
What’s for Dinner? Yum!
Tonight I did exactly what you advised and it helped me plan for dinner and I didn’t have to run out for anything. Granted, we didn’t have everything I’d liked to have, but it was a great dinner and exactly what I needed after a very busy and hectic day: quick, easy and really delicious. My kids gobbled up their dinner so quickly, I could barely believe it.
When you said for me to go search my food supplies, I found a cranberry/orange muffin mix, a package of frozen turkey left over from Christmas (both dark and light meat). I found the chicken stock I always keep on hand; I make at least two pints each time I bring chicken home from the market. I found a chunk of feta cheese, some grated boiled potatoes left over from hash browns we had on Sunday, a can of cream of chicken soup, 5 heads of freshly roasted garlic left from my garlic garland, the 4 nice button mushrooms and small ball of mozzarella (I bought for the pizza we didn’t make on Saturday), a bag of baby spinach, two small red onions and a chunk of sharp cheddar. I found three cups of vanilla pudding, a can of evaporated milk, several cans of various veggies, corn and cut green beans, tomato sauce, 2 cans of mandarin slices, 2 cans of tuna, half a bag of herb & garlic croutons and a small bag of rice. In the fridge, we had frozen orange juice concentrate, mayonnaise, milk, 4 eggs + a large carton of egg beaters, cottage cheese, a small package of cream cheese, butter. I also had a quart of cranberry-apple juice drink, and a package of cooked elbow macaroni. The “baking” cupboard was also stocked with the usual canola oil, a small bottle of E V olive oil, cider vinegar, flour, corn meal, sugar, etc. When I got done organizing it all, you figured I could get tomorrow night, and some of Thursday night out of this stockpile, too, if I went about it right.
Turkey a’la King Over Feta Cheese Potatoes
- Spinach Salad with Mandarin dressing
- Cranberry –Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- For Night 2 & 3 Recipes (See Recipes of the Day)
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Tuna Cakes with Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Buttered Green Beans
- Cranberry/Orange Parfaits
Turkey with Rice Soup
- Fried Cornbread (Hoecakes)
- Burnt Sugar Custard Cups
Night 1 Recipes Follow
Turkey a’ la King
- Toss the leftover hash browns together with ½ can of undiluted cream chicken, three large smashed cloves of the roasted garlic, ¼ cup milk and ½ cup crumbled feta cheese in a large mixing bowl. When all is well mixed, spread in a buttered 2 quart baking dish.
- Place the turkey in a thin slightly overlapping layer over top of the potatoes.
- Mix remaining chicken soup concentrate with an equal part of chicken stock, stir until well mixed and smoothed. Pour evenly over the turkey layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until all is hot and bubbly. Serve with:
SPINACH MANDARIN SALAD:
- ½ purple (red) onion, thinly slice; put slices in 1 cup of warm water seasoned with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar. Soak for about 10 minutes then drain and pat dry.
- 1 can of mandarin oranges (or three fresh, peeled and separated) Drain and pat dry,
- 2 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Toss all the above together with baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. Orange juice concentrate
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. cider or champagne vinegar
- ¼ tsp. ginger (grated fresh or dried)
- 4 tbsp. water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine well and serve over spinach mandarin salad.
- Prepare 8” cake pan (grease ad flour) for baking. Set aside.
- Make muffin mix according to box directions (using whole milk instead of water).
- Bake 14 – 16 minutes, checking at 14 as ovens vary. Do not over-bake.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes then finish cooling on a wire rack until thoroughly cool.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 small package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp. room temperature butter
- 1 2/3 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla.
- Combine ingredients and cream together until smooth and spreadable. Frost top and sides of Cranberry-Orange Cake.
Thanks for coming! Love you all.
©2013 BAPantryGourmet/BAZiegler – All rights reserved.