- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate (chop chocolate and divide: 8 oz. / 4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (reserve 2 tablespoons portion)
- 1 cup+ 2 tablespoons butter cut in cube (reserve 2 tablespoon portion)
- 4 whole eggs + 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract + 1 teaspoon Amaretto
- 1/2 cup Red Cherry Preserves
- OR Fresh Cherries, or Berries
1. Make Ganache:
Melt the reserved 4 oz. chocolate with 2 tablespoons heavy cream over a double boiler. Stir to smooth and chill to firm. Should be stiff enough to scoop. will take about 30 minutes in the fridge.
2. Prepare the Ramekins
Butter 8 (7 oz) ramekins with reserved butter then coat the insides of the ramekins with the reserved sugar, tapping out all excess sugar. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Prepare the cake batter
In a medium sized bowl, over a double boiler, mix the remaining chocolate with the one cup of butter until the chocolate melts. Stir several times during the melting. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Beat together the eggs and egg yolks, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until pale and thick then sift the flour over the top and fold into the egg/sugar mixture with salt and extract and Amaretto. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture until well blended then divide evenly between the prepared ramekins.
4. Add the melting center***
Divide the thickened ganache into 8 even portions and roll into 8 balls, put one in the center of each ramekin and press to slightly bury ganache in the batter. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 11 -13 minutes until set.
***Recipe can be made to this point ahead of time and held in the fridge to be baked off just before dessert is to be served!
5. Glaze with Cherry Preserves**
Heat preserves in the microwave on high until liquified (about 35 seconds). Spoon over top of each chocolate cake and serve immediately.
**In season, fresh berries make a perfect and healthy presentation and are delicious made into a fresh coulee and decorated with whole berry fruits.
©Barbara Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet 2013 All Rights Reserved