Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
A BAPantryGourmet Proven Winner
This recipe is a perfect way to get your fussy eaters to eat some of the “colors” that are so good for them (that they think they don’t like). It is yummy, has eye appeal and frankly, is never enough because it makes eaters want to “stuff” themselves. Be sure to serve it with hot cornbread muffins or cornbread sticks with a good buttery spread on the side. You’ll get kudos!
◊Easily made Vegan by using vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
◊Easily turned into a hearty stew-like soup by adding 1 to 2 cups of any leftover cooked protein after the blending process. Actually very good with the addition of sausage coins and or cooked beans, red, white, pinto, or turkey meat balls.
- Peel and cut into 1/2-inch pieces into a large roasting pan:
3 carrots, 2 parsnips, 1 medium sweet potato, 1 celery root, 1 small rutabaga, and 1 (about 2 lbs.) butternut squash. Add 2 turnips, peeled and quartered, 4 small purple potatoes, scrubbed and quartered, 4 small gold potatoes, scrubbed and quartered. Preheat oven to 425 ° F (220° C)
- Drizzle prepared vegetables with ¼-cup olive oil then season with
1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon summer savory and 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic. Toss vegetables thoroughly to evenly distribute oil and seasonings.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the vegetables are easily pierced with a fork, 30 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- While veggies roast,
melt 3 tablespoons butter in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in 1 stalk celery, 1/2 sweet onion, diced; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of chicken broth,(or vegetable broth) and bring to a simmer, uncovered. Stir in the roasted vegetables and continue simmering for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender, then stir in ½ cup half and half, and check seasoning, adding salt and pepper, if necessary. If the soup becomes too thick, add additional chicken broth.
Serve with Corn Bread Muffins or Sticks.
©Barbara Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet 2013 All Rights Reserved