INGREDIENTS Serves 8
- 1-1/4 cups sugar*
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup frozen cherry concentrate +½ cup good quality Zinfindel wine
- Or 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- Or 4 cups frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in cherry juice/wine until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the cherries, spices and extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ground almonds and salt; cut in shortening/butter until crumbly. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide pastry in two so that one ball is a bit larger than the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate and trim evenly to edge of plate.
- Add filling.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 475 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
©Barbara Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet 2013 All Rights Reserved