Potato Salad is a favorite as old as time and every cook who’s ever taken it for a Company or Family get-together has a special trick to make hers/his the absolute best ever. Here’s ours. It is an award winner!
Sure it’s easy to pick up a large container of potato salad at just about any deli, and if you need to do that, by all means, enjoy the opportunity.
But the satisfaction of serving a delicious, homemade and unique bowl of goodness that will set you apart (writing down the recipe…don’t do that, just share the link), then here you are:
- 1-½ lb. mixed variety mini-potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces (sometimes in half, sometimes quartered) and cooked until just done.
- 1 small red onion chopped small(if the onion is strong, rinse under cool water and pat dry to remove some of the sharpness.)
- 3 shallots, white and green, sliced thinly
- 3 full ribs of celery, cut the ribs in thirds (long-ways) then slice small
- 1 cup mixed color sweet peppers, seeded and chopped small
- ½ cup diced pimento stuffed green olives
- ½ cup chopped radishes
- ½ cup chopped, crispy bacon bits*
- 2 cups of chopped baby arugula
- 1 cup top quality mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. good honey (I prefer Orange or Local)
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 tsp. seasalt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
This recipe is so straightforward with the listing of the ingredients, this part is probably unnecessary, but we’ll do it anyway.
- Boil or microwave washed and prepared potatoes until they are barely done. Microwaves differ in power and cooking times may vary, so simply check potatoes with the tip of a table knife and when it pierces easily, they are done. Remove them from heat source, drain off any water and allow to cool. (Refrigerate if you are rushed)
- Utilizing the easy “help” suggestions, prepare the additional ingredients and add all together into a large mixing bowl, finally adding the cooled potato pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dressing ingredients with a small whisk until smooth then add to potato salad ingredients. Toss gently and thoroughly to coat potatoes and blend ingredients together. Refrigerate and keep cold. If serving outdoors in a warm environment, place serving bowl in a larger bowl with cracked ice under and around the salad.
- Garnish with sliced boiled eggs and minced flat leaf parsley, if desired.*
©BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2016 ~ All rights reserved.