The way we usually serve these Tomato Crepes (Crepes di pomodoro) is in Sausage Cheese Sauce with Vegetable Medley (Salsa di formaggio salsiccia con medley di verdure). It combines Italy’s wonderful flavors with French style and technique, a fusion of the best of each, for a unique dinner Entrée you’ll love.
These crepes are also great served rolled with sliced provolone and topped with Italian Meat Sauce. Another variation is filled and rolled with seasoned ricotta and topped with mushroom gravy.
We’ll categorize these recipe in Food Gone Rogue and Make Ahead Ingredients in addition to the usual categories because of the unconventional use of ingredients, and because the crepes and the sauces may be made separately and ahead of the intended meal, if you wish. Refrigerate crepes for up to 4 days, assemble with sauce at dinner time and heat for 20-30 minutes in a 325°F oven for a quick finish. (the cheese sauce can be made ahead as well, (up to 2 days) but I like putting the dish together just before heating to maintain the quality of the crepes texture.
Served along side a crisp Romaine salad with Italian olives, baby tomatoes and purple onion dressed in a tart/sweet balsamic vinaigrette, complimented with a good Chianti and you’ve got a winner, whichever sauce you choose.
Crepes Serves 4
- 1-⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup tomato sauce or smooth marinara sauce
- 4 eggs, beaten together
- ½ cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup cool water (1-2 Tbsp) extra if needed for proper consistency)
- 1 Tbsp evoo (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) (the fruiter-the better)
- Measure flour into a small bowl, add salt and stir well
- Measure tomato sauce or marinara into medium mixing bowl
- Add beaten eggs, whole milk, water and eveo.
- Stir to combine liquids ingredients
- Slowly add dry ingredients to liquids and blend with a whisk until smooth
- Mixture should be a very thin pancake-like batter, about the consistency on an warm, unset custard.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Heat well oiled crepe pan or crepe cooker to medium (med/hi – depending on your equipment, heavier equipment requires a longer time to preheat, but needs a lower overall setting)
- Spread ⅓ cup batter over surface of hot crepe cooker/pan, cooking until top appears dry. Flip and cook for a few seconds.
- Remove cooked crepe to a parchment covered rack, and cover lightly with parchment, stacking the crepes together (separated by parchment) as they are cooked, repeating the process until all the crepes are done. Crepes may be held in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight storage container.
- Roll into “cigars” and place in a lightly buttered casserole dish, top with sauce. Cover lightly with foil or parchment and heat for 20-30 minutes in 325°F oven until sauce is bubbly hot.
SEE: Salsa di formaggio salsiccia con medley di verdure (Sausage Cheese Sauce w/Vegetable Medley)
©2016 BAPantryGourmet.com Barbara A.Ziegler ~ All rights reserved