This is #7 in our 7 ways – 7 easy days category, one of our 7 “kit” dinners you make up yourself and freeze. Designed as a Slow Cooker dinner cooking up a wonderful ready-to-eat dinner while you do other things when time presses.
There are a couple of techniques you’ll be using here for all the Freezer to Slow-Cooker meals, so we’re going to cover them once. While they may not seem that important, they really do make a big difference in these recipes.
These techniques are:
- Pack the freezer bags in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Always slit the BOTTOM of the bag to dump into cooker from the bottom so ingredients are layered as they need to be to cook properly.
- Store kit bags upright in freezer if possible.
- 2 chicken half breasts, boneless/skinless,each cut in 4 even-sized chunks
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken thighs, each cut in half
- 2 cloves of smashed, minced garlic
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 4 large gold potatoes, scrubbed, each cut into fourths
- 1 Tbsp. Herbs d’ Provence crushed with 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups whole green beans fresh or frozen may be used(if frozen used, keep frozen while processing)
- ½ cup chopped sweet red peppers
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1-½ tsp. each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- To be added at time of cooking
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- ½ cup full bodied white wine, not too dry, such as Sauterne.*
Process for Kit Prep
- Toss first 5 ingredients together in a bowl, then add to bag
- Peel, and chop sweet onion, add to bag on top of rice
- Place green beans in a layer atop onion, if frozen be sure to keep frozen while packaging.
- Add chopped red peppers
- Sprinkle with sisal and black pepper
- Squeeze out excess air and close bag. Freeze immediately
Process for Cooking
- Slit bottom of freezer bag and dump ingredients into prepared, preheated slow cooker, bottom-of-the-bag items first,
- Pour chicken broth & wine (or water) over the food
- Cover and cook on low for at least 4 hours and use Keep Warm setting after that.
Serves 6 to 8
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2016 ~ all rights reserved