This is #6 in our 7 ways – 7 easy days category, one of our 7 “kit” dinners you make up yourself and freeze. Designed as a Slow Cooker dinner cooking up a wonderful ready-to-eat dinner while you do other things when time presses.
There are a couple of techniques you’ll be using here for all the Freezer to Slow-Cooker meals, so we’re going to cover them once. While they may not seem that important, they really do make a big difference in these recipes.
These techniques are:
- Always pack the freezer bags in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Always slit the BOTTOM of the bag and dump into cooker from the bottom so ingredients are layered as they need to be to cook properly.
- Store kit bags upright in freezer
- 1½ cup Jasmine rice, well rinsed in a fine sieve, drained to completely remove water
- 1 Tbsp Chinese Combo spices (I use Simply Asian) crushed with 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1-½ tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, grated ginger(Fresh is best), sesame oil.
- 1 smashed and minced garlic clove,
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless/skinless,cut in bite-sized chunks
- 1 chicken half breasts, boneless/skinless,cut in bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup each chopped Bell peppers, sliced celery, sliced carrots
- ½ cup chopped sweet red peppers
- ¾ cup cashews, chopped.
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium) +2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce to be added at time of cooking
Process for Kit Prep
- Add spices and salt to rice and toss to mix
- Place seasoned rice in bottom of a one gallon freezer bag
- Add chopped sweet onion to bag on top of rice
- Season chicken chunks with sea salt, pepper, ginger and sesame oil, and crushed garlic.
- Add seasoned chicken to bag.
- Place carrots in a layer atop chicken,
- Then add celery, peppers
- Squeeze out excess air and close bag. Freeze immediately
- After cooking, immediately before service, stir in chopped cashews.
Process for Cooking
- Oil bottom/sides of slow cooker with your choice of oil and preheat for 10 minutes.
- Slit bottom of freezer bag/dump ingredients into slow cooker: rice first.
- Pour chicken broth + soy sauce over the food
- Cover and cook on low for at least 4 hours and use Keep Warm setting after that.
Serves 4 to 6
Up Next: French Country Chicken with Vegetables
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2016 ~ all rights reserved