# 5 Chicken Teriyaki with Pineapple Rice
This is #5 in our 7 ways – 7 easy days category, one of our 7 “kit” dinners you make up yourself and freeze. Designed as a Slow Cooker dinner cooking up a wonderful ready-to-eat dinner while you do other things when time presses.
There are a couple of techniques you’ll be using here for all the Freezer to Slow-Cooker meals, so we’re going to cover them once. While they may not seem that important, they really do make a big difference in these recipes.
- Always pack ingredients the freezer bags in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Always slit the BOTTOM of the bag and dump into cooker from the bottom so ingredients are layered as they need to be to cook properly.
- Store kit bags upright in freezer
- When recipe requires cooking some part of meal separate from the slow cooker, instructions and ingredients will be listed separately.
- 1 Tbsp each light olive oil, butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup each,
- chopped celery (3 ribs + leaves), carrots chunks,
- 2 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- 1 smashed and chopped garlic clove
- ½ cup each chopped sweet red peppers, Bell pepper.
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless/skinless,cut in 2″ chunks
- 1 chicken breast, boneless/skinless,cut in 2″ chunks
- 1-½cups of a 20oz. can of canned pineapple chunks (*drained, reserve juice and 1 cup pineapple) The balance may be frozen separately with remaining juices in a small zip lock with until time of cooking but keep together with kit.
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce, stirred together with ¼ cup pineapple juice, plus ->
- 1 tsp each, toasted sesame oil and grated fresh ginger.
- 3 cups chicken stock (or broth) (low sodium) To be added to kit at time of cooking.
Step 2 : Pineapple Rice
- 1-½ cups Jasmine rice
- 1-½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup pineapple juice with reserved pineapple. If you choose to add freshly opened pineapple, when rice is cooked, you will need at least one cup of the fruit. More pineapple fruit is okay, just make sure you adjust the juice added to other liquids to equal 3 cups.
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (Optional)
Process for Kit Prep
- Toss chopped onion in olive oil and butter, drop into freezer bag
- Toss the prepared celery, carrots, seasonings, garlic and peppers in bag on top of onion.
- Add chicken to bag.
- Add 1-½ cups of pineapple chunks
- Mix teriyaki sauce, pineapple juice, sesame oil and grated ginger and pour over the top of the ingredients in the bag.
- Squeeze out excess air and close bag. Freeze immediately
NOTE: Place reserved pineapple and juice in a small zip bag, squeeze out air and freeze, Keep with Teriyaki Chicken Kit in freezer (attach with tape or two heavy duty rubber bands)
Process for Cooking
Step 1: Teriyaki Chicken
- Oil bottom/sides of slow cooker with your choice of oil and preheat for 10 minutes.
- Slit bottom of freezer bag/dump ingredients into slow cooker: onions & veggies first.
- Pour 3 cups of chicken broth/stock over the kit contents
- Cover and cook on low for 3-½ hours
- Put rice on to cook half an hour before serving time.
Note: “Keep Warm” setting after 4 hours.
Step 2: Pineapple Rice
- Bring liquids to a boil
- Add salt
- Add rice and stir. Lower heat to lowest setting and cover.
- Cook covered (vent very slightly) for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in pineapple chunks and remove from heat.
- Add chopped cilantro as a garnish if desired
Up Next: Cashew Chicken
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2015 ~ all rights reserved