This is #4 in our 7 ways – 7 easy days category, one of our 7 “kit” dinners you make up yourself and freeze. Designed as a Slow Cooker dinner cooking up a wonderful ready-to-eat dinner while you do other things when time presses.
There are a couple of techniques you’ll be using here for all the Freezer to Slow-Cooker meals, so we’re going to cover them once. While they may not seem that important, they really do make a big difference in these recipes.
These techniques are:
- Always pack the freezer bags in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Always slit the BOTTOM of the bag and dump into cooker from the bottom so ingredients are layered as they need to be to cook properly.
- Store kit bags upright in freezer
- 2 cups Bisquick (biscuit mix)
- ½ tsp baking soda (sprinkle over and stir into buttermilk)
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp each extra virgin olive oil, butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup each,
- chopped celery (3 ribs + leaves), carrots chunks, skins-on red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- 1 smashed and chopped garlic clove
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless/skinless,cut in 2″ chunks
- 1 chicken breast, boneless/skinless,cut in 2″ chunks
- 1 cup green peas
- ½ cup each chopped sweet red peppers, Bell pepper.
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium) To be added at time of cooking.
Process for Kit Prep
Step 1 ~ Dumplings
- Stir grated cheese into biscuit mix,
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk
- Stir augmented buttermilk into biscuit mix,
- Stir to mix well (40 times)
- Drop dumplings by tablespoon onto waxed paper or parchment
Step 2 ~ Chicken & Dumpling Kit Finish
- Toss chopped onion in olive oil and butter, drop into freezer bag
- Toss the prepared celery, carrots and potatoes together and place in bag on top of onion.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic to chicken then
- Add seasoned chicken to bag.
- Add peas and peppers and
- Add frozen dumplings to top of all
- Squeeze out excess air and close bag. Freeze immediately
Process for Cooking
- Oil bottom/sides of slow cooker with your choice of oil and preheat for 10 minutes.
- Slit bottom of freezer bag/dump ingredients into slow cooker: onions & veggies first.
- Lift dumplings off top and set aside in fridge.
- Pour chicken broth over the chicken and veggies
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours
- Replace dumplings on top of chicken and veggies & continue to cook for 1 hour.
- “Keep Warm” setting after 4 hours.
- Serves 6
Up Next: Chicken Teriyaki with Pineapple Rice
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2015 ~ all rights reserved