This is #2 in our 7 ways – 7 easy days category, one of our 7 “kit” dinners you make up yourself and freeze. Designed as a Slow Cooker dinner cooking up a wonderful ready-to-eat dinner while you do other things when time presses.
There are a couple of techniques you’ll be using here for all the Freezer to Slow-Cooker meals, so we’re going to cover them once. While they may not seem that important, they really do make a big difference in these recipes.
These techniques are:
- Always pack the freezer bags in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Always slit the BOTTOM of the bag and dump into cooker from the bottom so ingredients are layered as they need to be to cook properly.
- Store kit bags upright in freezer
- 1-½ cup long grain white rice
- 1 tsp. Herbs d’ Provence crushed with 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups whole green beans fresh or frozen may be used(if frozen used, keep frozen)
- ½ cup chopped sweet red peppers
- 3 chicken half breasts, boneless/skinless,cut in medallion sized chunks
- 1-½ tsps. each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham,
- ¾ cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium) to be added at time of cooking
Process for Kit Prep
- Measure rice in bottom of a one gallon freezer bag
- Add herbs and salt
- Peel, and chop sweet onion, add to bag on top of rice
- Place green beans in a layer atop onion, if frozen be sure to keep frozen while packaging.
- Season chicken chunks and add to bag.
- Toss ham and cheese together then add to bag on top of chicken.
- Squeeze out excess air and close bag. Freeze immediately
Process for Cooking
- Slit bottom of freezer bag and dump ingredients into slow cooker,rice first, chicken last.
- Pour chicken broth (or water) over the food
- Cover and cook on low for at least 4 hours and use Keep Warm setting after that.
Serves 4 to 6
Up Next: Asian Mushroom Chicken with Imperial Rice and Quinoa
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2015 ~ all rights reserved