In our 7 ways – 7 easy days category we’ve decided to include 7 “kit” dinners you make up yourself and freeze. These are ready for that quick or ready-to-cook dinner when time presses as you call upon your Slow Cooker to do the cooking while you do other things.
There are a couple of techniques you’ll be using here for all the Freezer to Slow-Cooker meals, so we’re going to cover them once. While they may not seem that important, they really do make a big difference in these recipes.
These techniques are:
- Always pack the freezer bags in the order they are listed in the recipe.
- Always slit the BOTTOM of the bag and dump into cooker from the bottom so ingredients are layered as they need to be to cook properly.
- Store kit bags upright in freezer
- Small Red Potatoes (about 10-1-½” dia.)
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup brussels sprouts (enough for a layer in the bag) frozen may be used
- 2 chicken quarters, 1 chicken breast – cut in half
- 1-½ tsp. each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 10 oz. prepared BBQ sauce
Process for Kit Prep
- In a one gallon freezer bag, place red potatoes, sized per recipe,
- Peel, quarter and slice sweet onion, add to bag on top of potatoes
- If brussels sprouts are fresh, pare and place a layer atop onion, if frozen be sure to keep frozen while packaging.
- Add chicken to bag, and sprinkle salt and pepper over the meat.
- Add BBQ sauce atop of seasoned chicken.
- Squeeze out excess air and close bag. Freeze immediately
- 1-½ cups chicken broth (or water) to be added at time of cooking.
Process for Cooking
- Slit bottom of freezer bag and dump ingredients into slow cooker, potatoes first, sauced chicken last.
- Pour 1-½ cups chicken broth (or water) over the food
- Cover and cook on low for at least 6 hours and use Keep Warm setting after that.
- Serve with or without a Cole Slaw or Kale Salad and a crusty bread of your choice for a scrumptious BBQ chicken dinner.
Serves 4 to 6
Up Next: Chicken Breast Cordon Bleu with Rice and Red Pepper Green Beans
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2015 ~ all rights reserved