You know those nights when you feel like you need to have “just a salad” but you crave something warm? Well, this is the answer.
It is a plate full of lightly cooked (steamed vegetables served up with a shake or a toss of your favorite flavored topping, or dressing… be-it a sprinkle of grated sharp cheddar or parmesan, a seasoned salts and peppers mix or a spicy salsa. If you prefer, you can pair this with a drizzle and a toss of your favorite salad dressing.
We’ve been known to make this our favorite substitute for heavier Asian dishes by adding Asian herbs and spices to the veggies before steaming, adding chunks of marinated tofu to the pot and topping all with an orange and soy dressing. For those with no sensitivities to peanuts, this dish goes all kung po with the addition of peanuts.
For those of you carnivores who want to make this a heartier meal, chunks of cooked chicken added to this Asian style salad along side a rice or brown rice/guinoa and you’ve got a healthy Asian dinner.
- 2 cups broccoli crowns, cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 cups cauliflower crowns, cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in wedges (yellow, white, or purple, your choice)
- 2 cups tuscan kale, torn in bite sized pieces
- 4 ribs of celery, washed and cut in 2″ lengths
- 8 – 10 little red potatoes (or the mixed colored mini-potatoes)
- 1 cup seeded baby sweet peppers.
- 8 Brussels Sprouts (may use frozen)
(For Asian: Toss Veggies with 2 Tblsp. “Simply Asian” spice mix before steaming. Toss 1 Tbsp with first batch of veggies, and the second tablespoon with the second batch. After steaming serve with Acoutrament #6
- Wash, pare and prep potatoes, carrots, brussels sprouts and celery
- Place in a large steamer over hot water, cover and steam (about 5 minutes)
- While dense veggies are steaming, wash, and prep broccoli, cauliflower, onion, kale and sweet peppers.
- Add all veggies to the pot, cover and continue to steam until kale is limp and cauliflower is al dente.
- Serve immediately
Adjust amounts and accompaniment types as personally desired.
Pour over warm veggies and toss. Enjoy!
- EASY • 4 oz. grated sharp cheddar (parmesan) = 1 0z. per person (and/or)
- EASY • 2 teaspoons seasoned salts & peppers, (and/or)
- SPICY EASY •1 cup green or red salsa (and/or)
- MEDITERANIAN/ Easy • ½ cup salad dressing (ranch is delicious especially with salsa, as is Mediterranean with Parmesan or feta.
- EASY & FRESH • Lemon Mayonnaise is always a hit, as is a Dilled Vinaigrette.
- ASIAN • ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, a pinch of grated fresh ginger and 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced. A tablespoon of sliced cilantro is optional.
- Your imaginative choice, you’ve got the picture…
What’s for dinner? Yum!
© BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2015 All rights reserved.