♠For the Ziegler Clan, Christmas is a time that blesses us best when we share our love in thoughtful, consumable gifts we make for each other. With the holidays upon us and much to be done, it is imperative in our family to simplify as much as possible. So it is that we share some of our favorites with you.♠
- 1½ cups coarsely-chopped almonds
- 16 oz. light brown sugar
- 1 lb. butter
- 24 oz. milk chocoalte chips
- Sprinkle ¾ cup coarsely chopped almonds over the bottom of an 18×13 inch cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a 2 qt. sauce pan, combine sugar and butter over medium high heat, stirring frequently for several minutes until bubbly and thick. Use a candy thermometer and cook until 290° F. Watch carefully after 280° F to prevent burning. Once it has reached 290° F, remove from heat. Be very careful as this hot sticky concoction will cause severe burns.
- Pour candy evenly over top of the almonds in cookie sheet and allow to stand undisturbed for a few minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave with 1 tsp. shortening or oil to help keep it smooth. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each increment, until completely melted and smooth. DO NOT USE BUTTER. The moisture in butter will cause chocolate to seize.
- Cover candy with layer of chocolate and sprinkle remaining almonds evenly over the top of chocolate layer while chocolate is still soft. Cover with waxed paper and press gently to encourage nuts to stick to the chocolate.
- Allow to set up for several hours. May be refrigerated to cool faster.
- Once completely hardened, break into pieces using a heavy knife.
Yeild: 2 lb. of candy. Great for gifts!
© Barbara A.Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com 2015 ~ All rights reserved.