Super Foods Salad (with Arugula) Serves 8
By now we’ve all heard it, Avocados are another super food and by now we’re all getting off track with those resolutions to eat more healthy this year. This salad will re-inspire and perk up those taste bud beginning to long for something more. Adapted from the classic Greek salad with Feta and Black Olives, this fantastic anytime salad only leans toward Greek with the optional addition of Greek-style yogurt as a garnish. What is fun about this salad is that it leans heavily toward the sunny Mexican Riviera and makes a great side salad for Tamale or Enchilada Suisa. You decide. Is it salad for dinner, or a side for sunny Mexican cuisine to chase away the wintry blahs?
- 2 cups cucumbers, peeled and medium chopped
- 4 cups avocados, medium chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup red onion, small diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, medium rough chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, or flat leaf parley if you prefer, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced or grated fresh garlic,
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil (I prefer a good quality fruity extra virgin, but the type is optional)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground Chipotle pepper (optional)
- 8 cups baby Arugula (optional)
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek Yogurt (optional) for garnish
- Toss all ingredients (except yogurt and Arugula) in a bowl
- Serve atop a bed of Arugula (if desired)
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt (if desired)
Serve with a lovely bottle of White Zinfandel, Sweet Riesling, or Fume Blanc.
©BAPantrygourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler 2015 ~ all rights reserved.
- Calories 228. Total Fat 18.1 g. Sodium 10.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g. Dietary Fiber 6.4 g. Sugars 2.2