These delightful soft chewy cookies couldn’t be healthier (don’t tell the kids) or more delicious. They are named nudgies because one is a nudge to have another. Easy to make, they freeze like a dream and are one of our wintertime favorites. Great with a cup of steaming hot orange spice tea, a roaring fire and a good book and you’ll barely notice the freezing temperatures or think about being housebound because of the weather.
Want a crisp cook and not concerned with fat? For those crisp cookie lovers there’s only one way to get there and that is a higher proportion of fat in a cookie recipe. Changing out the first six ingredients in this recipe for the ingredients listed at the bottom will give you these same wonderful flavors and a crisper cookie. Either way, this recipe is a keeper.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter*
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar*
- 1/2 cup jellied cranberry sauce*
- 1/3 cup applesauce*
- 1 egg*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries*
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (or other tree nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, sugars until fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla. Stir to blend.
- Add cranberry and apple sauce. Stir to blend.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add dried cranberries and nuts. (if crisp cookie recipe, add chopped apple here)
- Add dry ingredients + fruits/nuts to butter mixture and stir until well blended.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto parchment covered baking sheet.
- Bake about 16 to 18 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool.*Crisp Cookie 12 to 14 minutes only
Crisp Cookie Ingredients Alternative (see paragraph 2 at top)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large finely chopped granny smith apple (or your favorite tart variety)
- Omit Sauces (Apple & Cranberry sauce)
- Change the first five ingredients in the soft chewy cookie recipe for the above ingredients
- Follow directions listed for soft chewy cookie recipe.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes only
Yield: 5 dozen
©2014 BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler ~ All rights reserved.