Red Potato Escallop Serves 8
This hearty scalloped potato casserole is a busy day version, there’s no slicing potatoes into paper thin slices in this recipe. Further, it offers the addition of cheese to make it a protein rich dish to double as an entrée for meat free diets.
It is a quick version with the potatoes themselves scrubbed, with eyes/blemishes only
peeled away with a veggie peeler, leaving most of the red skins. The potatoes are then microwaved to a smash-able doneness. The sauce, a rich Béchamel that has been lightened with chicken (or vegetable, for meat free) stock, is started stove-top, left thin and put together with the smashed red potatoes and veggies, garnished and put in the oven to come to blended flavors and a bubbling hot deliciousness in 35-40 minutes.
In this recipe, Made with heavy cream is the highlighted method, but is delicious made instead with whole milk. It can be adapted to use lower fat cheese if you like, selecting your favorite in the place of the aged white cheddar called for in the recipe. You and your diners will love this recipe for “spuds” every time you make it.
It is a perfect side dish for winter meats: pork chops, meatloaf and roasted chicken but served as an entrée with a side salad and crunchy rustic bread, it is an ideal meat free dinner as well.
- 12-14 baby red potatoes (about the size of extra large eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock (not sodium free)
- 1/2 cup each chopped white onion and sweet yellow pepper
- 3 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley (divide in half)
- Wash and peel( with veggie peeler) “eyes” from potatoes (leave on as much red peel as possible)
- In a microwave safe casserole with a lid, toss potatoes with chopped onion, 1 1/2 tbsp. parsley and sweet peppers, add chicken (or vegetable)stock, put the lid on and steam the potatoes (in microwave) until they are easily smashed.
- 1 tsp. each kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. evoo
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated aged white cheddar (Dubliner, etc.)(Reserve 1/4 cup for garnish )
While potatoes are steaming
- Melt butter together with *evoo, salt and pepper in a 2 qt. cooking pan.
- Add flour to melted butter/oil mixture and cook slightly, stirring to incorporate. Do not brown.
- Add heavy cream and stir to incorporate and continue to cook and stir till well combined and fairly “lump free”
- Remove potatoes from microwave. Take care not to be burned by the steam when removing lid.
- Remove potatoes and vegetables to a buttered casserole, but reserve broth. With a potato masher, smash potatoes to flatten, breaking slightly into pieces
- Add reserved cooking broth and 3/4 cup grated cheese to cream sauce and stir well to combine.
- Pour sauce over smashed potatoes and stir to mix.
- Toss remaining cheese and chopped parsley together and sprinkle evenly over top of potatoes for garnish.
- Bake covered in 350°F oven for 35 – 45 minutes until bubbly. Again, take care not to be burned by the steam when removing lid when serving.
A side salad of romaine, crisp red apple, dried cranberry and toasted pecan served with a sweet and sour creamy dressing is perfect for turning this dish into a meat free entrée. A chilled Dry Riesling or a fruity Cabernet completes this menu for family or company.
*evoo=Extra Virgin Olive Oil
©2014 BAPantryGourmet.com/Barbara A. Ziegler ~ All rights reserved