This is the perfect rich and crunchy cole slaw
to serve alongside burritos and quesadilla and calamari appetizers for a late weekend afternoon luncheon in your own back yard. Add a platter of thick sliced ham and watermelon, and tall cold drinks (Mango Coolers, perhaps or maybe frozen Margaritas and/or Sangria) and lunch becomes a party. With food and drink this good, you’ll want the party to go on into the evening.
If you want to slice your own cabbage with food processor, be sure to include both green and purple cabbage and a julienned carrots. If you want to take the wonderful help of classic cole slaw mix from the produce man, you’ll need two packages. Be sure to get the mix only and not a kit! You won’t need the packaged dressing for this cole slaw. This recipe has its own.
Avocado Chili and Lime Cole Slaw Serves 8/10
- 2 packages of prepared cole slaw mix or 1 small head of green cabbage
- 1 small head of purple cabbage
- 1/2 c. diced scallions, greens and whites or 1/2 c. thinly sliced purple onion
- 1 large ripe, but firm, avocado, peeled and diced, hold in a separate bowl
- 1 c. red radishes, cut in chunks
- 1/2 c. toasted squash seeds
- 1/2 c. finely chopped cilantro* optional (flat leaf parsley may be substituted)
If “mix” is used:
- Dump all ingredients for salad part of slaw, except for avocado, into a large mixing bowl, toss together.
- Make salad dressing in a separate bowl and mix thoroughly
- Pour 1/4 c. dressing over avocado and toss gently to coat
- Pour the remaining dressing over the salad/slaw and toss well
- Pour the dressed avocado on top and very gently toss two times only.
If shredding your own cabbage
- Shred and chop cabbage for a medium/fine slaw then follow the directions 1-5 in the If Mix is used.
- 1/2 c. good mayonnaise (we use Best Foods)
- 1/4 c sour cream** heavy sweet cream may be substituted
- 1 large clove of garlic, smashed and diced together with
- 1 very small stem of rosemary, center stem removed
- a pinch of dry sweet basil
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground chili pepper
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. agave (sugar, honey, lo-cal sweetener may be substituted with good results)
- 1/2 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
© 2014 Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com All rights reserved