Toasted Coconut & Almond Cream Cheese Cake is a cake so special and rich
it is outside the realm of an ordinary, everyday dessert. Of course, it is your call. It is the kind of cake you make for an occasion: a wedding shower, a first communion party, Christmas, Graduation, but it is so delicious and easy you’ll be tempted to make an occasion of most anything.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup chopped sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup toasted flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cups (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened (may substitute coconut oil)
- 2 0z. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cups +2 Tbs. sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoons almond extra extract
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch cake pan with butter and dust with all-purpose flour.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, chopped almonds and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the butter and cream cheese together with sugar, using an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is light in color and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla, almond extract and milk, and beat on medium-high, just until blended.
Do not overbeat.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean — 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
Ice with Toasted Coconut Almond Cream Cheese Frosting (Recipe follows)
TOASTED COCONUT ALMOND CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cups toasted flaked coconut
- 1/2 cups toasted sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the extracts.
- Frost cake(s)
- Garnish with toasted flaked coconut and sliced almonds
© 2014 Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com All rights reserved