Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
This recipe is so easy to perform it only takes 15 minutes to get it ready for the cooling rest period. 10 minutes from frying pan to oven then to the table with a total prep time of 35 minutes you couldn’t ask for a speedier plan. Served with a creamy sweet red pepper sauce, this Chicken Cordon Bleu could stand alone, but with fluffy black and white rice and plain steamed asparagus, a visually attractive, indescribably delicious dinner will be enjoyed by all.
- 3 chicken breasts, skin and bone removed
- 18 thin slices of deli ham
- 6 slices good quality swiss cheese
- 6 tsp cold butter (in 6 “pats”)
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 c. garlic croutons, 1/4 grated parmesan, 1/2 tsp. herbs d’provence, 1 tsp. season salt, paprika processed into fine bread crumbs
- 1 c. canola oil + 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Slice each chicken breasts into two thin horizontal slices until you have 6 chicken pieces
- Cover cutting board with two layers of plastic wrap, place chicken pieces , two at a time, on cutting board, cover with additional layers of plastic wrap and pound chicken breast pieces into thin sheets
- Continue, two by two, until all the chicken is transformed
- Season chicken then alternately layer ham, (3 slices per), cheese slice (1 per) to assemble chicken flat, adding the butter pat in the center.
- Fold ends evenly over to secure filling then roll up smoothly (as you would a burrito), fastening sides with wooden toothpicks by sticking them through the roll up
- After all pieces are assembled and rolled, brush on all sides with a thin coat of mayonnaise
- Roll in the fine crumbs to cover all sides
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (overnight okay)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine canola oil and evoo in a heavy skillet and heat over medium high heat to 350°F.
- Fry roll-ups, rotating to brown evenly on all sides, 3 at a time until all six roll-ups are golden brown, removing browned chicken to a ovenproof casserole.
- Finish uncovered in 350°F oven until chicken rolls have reached 150° internal temperature when read with an instant thermometer.