Frittata/Omelette Brunch Munch – Power Lunch
Serves 3, 6 or 12 (Just multiply by 2 for 6 or 4 for 12)
You decide which timing works for you – Brunch or Lunch. As a brunch entrée you can’t beat this Frittata/Omelette. This recipe for three adapts easily to a crowd. Served with a fruit plate on the side, brunch cocktails, mimosas and cups of deeply rich hot chocolate for the younger set, plan on plenty, because seconds will be had!
As a power lunch, it is a perfect pick-me-up for hungry eaters on those busy days when breakfast has been skipped in favor of getting a jump on the day. Full of flavor and nutrients, easy and quickly prepared, you won’t find a better answer to the question of what’s for lunch.
- 1/4 cup *par cooked hash browns tossed with 1 tsp. kosher salt and 2 Tbsp. EVOO**
- 2 Tbsp. each chopped scallions, mushrooms, Canadian bacon or lean ham, flat leaf parsley
- 3 eggs (equivalent egg replacement product, if desired or 4 egg whites )
- 2 c. power greens
- 1 tsp. each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325. Heat heavy oven proof skillet to HOT and, carefully wipe with an oiled paper towel to coat bottom and sides
- Toss hash browns with salt and olive oil making sure to distribute oil and salt well
- Spread hash browns evenly in hot pan, cooking to brown potatoes lightly on all sides (about 5-7 minutes)
- Add veggies and bacon, stir to incorporate with potatoes then press with an offset spatula to flatten
- Scramble eggs with fork and pour over potatoes/veggies/bacon
- Remove to oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until eggs are soft set
- Remove from oven and top with power greens; season with salt and pepper
- Cover and allow greens to wilt
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and return to oven until cheese melts
- Slice into three wedges and serve immediately.
*cooked ahead (boiled or left-over baked), rehydrated dried or frozen ** extra virgin olive oil
© 2014 Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com ~ all rights reserved