Chickpea Salad Pitas
This amazing salad sandwich is a tasty, filling and quick answer to “what’s for lunch?” Full of nutrition, it satisfies a hearty appetite better than a burger and is a fabulous balance of long-lasting proteins and carbs. Try it – you’ll love it!
- 4 Compari or plum tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 4 pitas or pieces flat bread, warmed
- 1 8-ounce container hummus
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 – 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and well drained (dry on paper toweling)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 1/2 c. whole parsley leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the whole parsley leaves, tomatoes, and 1 tbsp. oil, and salt and pepper
- Spread bread with the hummus and divide the bread among 4 plates
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chickpeas and cook until slightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, chopped parsley, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and toss.
- Top bread/hummus slices with the chickpea mixture, onion, and hot sauce.
- Serve with the parsley salad, yogurt, and lemon wedges.