Waffles aren’t just for breakfast anymore!
Rustic or fancy … homemade… delicious and simple… waffles can be sophisticated in the easiest possible way. They are a quick answer for dinner even without the fried chicken to go with. There are so many good ideas of how to perk up waffles and make them one of your most requested supper solutions that we could do an entire cookbook on the subject (maybe we will). But that’s another project for another day. For now we’re sharing our absolute favorite: Blue Cheese Waffles with Organic Orange & Maple Honey
Served with fresh fruit that includes sliced pears, dried cranberry or cherries and toasted walnuts and you’ll have a epicurean experience over a simple dinner.
Preheat waffle iron while you mix waffle batter. When waffle grid begins to “smoke” open and allow smoke to escape and cool briefly, spray very lightly with cooking spray and “get cooking”.
Cover the hot grid with about 1/2 c. waffle batter and close lid. Cook until steam disappears (about 4 minutes).
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. crumbles of top quality blue cheese
- 1/2 tsp. fine kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 – 1/4 buttermilk
- water (if needed)up to 1/4 cup
- Measure all dry ingredients together in a large bowl and stir well to distribute leavening and seasoning
- Add blue cheese crumbles and stir to distribute
- Mix oil, butter, eggs and buttermilk in a medium bowl
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just to combine. Mix should be the consistency of pudding before it fully sets. If it seems too thick, add water, a little at a time to achieve the proper consistency.
©2014 Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com ~ All rights reserved.