ToastedAlmonds & Coconut Torte w / Chocolate Ganache Drizzle finished with Orange Zest
This recipe is about what can be done with ordinary items. Practically every one has a favorite yellow cake, be it a commercial cake mix or grandma’s favorite 2 egg cake. It can be great with or without embellishment, or served with a bit of fruit or a scoop of ice cream but once in a while with a little culinary magic, it gets to be the star and party show off.
Cooked vanilla pudding becomes “coconut” by using 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup of regular milk, or you can go scratch to coconut pudding all the way.
Not included here instructions for making cake, or pudding, or chocolate ganache. Those recipes are all available in nearly every cook book and on the web. The components can be sourced from any market from boxed and bottled mixes, sauces to scratch ingredients. The beauty of this dessert is that all the ingredients called for can be put together from handy mixes, ready made or made from scratch.
The choice is yours.
- 1 – 9″ Square Yellow Cake
- 2 cups coconut pudding
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chocolate ganache
- Zest of 1 orange
- Slice cake into 3 layers as evenly as possible
- Spread pudding generously over bottom layer
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup coconut and 1/3 cup almonds
- Add second layer and repeat 1-3
- Add third layer and repeat 1-3, but reserving 1 tablespoon almonds and coconut
- Reserve 1/4 cup of chocolate ganache for serving detail and drizzle remainder over the cake top and sides in an attractive design.
When serving, cut in 3″ squares and place each in center of individual large plates that have been whimsically drizzled with reserved ganache, then sprinkle orange zest sparingly over desserts and plates.
©Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com 2014 – All Rights Reserved