There’s nothing sadder than having to skip the fun of making, cutting out and decorating cookies with kids because they can’t eat them when they’re done. Now, thanks to oodles of research and experimentation by some greatly ambitious and creative people, everyone (kids of all ages and kinds) can participate in fashioning the most delightful icons for each and every holiday, all thanks to several good Gluten Free Roll Out Cookie Recipes and ready to use gluten free ingredients.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, yolks only
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend *
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar and butter in mixer bowl and beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed
- Add salt to flour and stir, then add dry ingredients (flour/salt) to butter/egg mix and blend. Beat at low speed until well mixed
- Cover; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Heat oven to 350°F.
- The Roll Out: Roll out dough, one-half at a time, on surface sprinkled lightly with gluten-free flour , to 1/4-inch thickness. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to use!)
- Cut with 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 2 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely before further handling.
- Cool cookies completely before decorating with prepared icing.
- 4 cups gluten-free powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk OR canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon honey OR corn syrup
- Food coloring (optional)
- While cookies are baking prepare cookie icing by whisking all icing ingredients until smooth.
- Gradually add just enough milk for a spreadable consistency. (If the icing seems too thin, add more powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time. )
- To decorate with different colors, divide the icing between bowls and add a few drops of food coloring, one at a time until you get the color you want. Stir until smooth.
- Blend together to desired spreadable consistency.
Store in an air-tight container or wrap tightly and freeze for a make-ahead holiday convenience
NOTE: For commercially available gluten free ingredients we recommend
Bob’s Red Mill Products/Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods and King Arthur Flour–KingArthurFlour.com, both available through their own websites and from Amazon.
©Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com 2014 All rights reserved