On the Menu:
~Grilled Asian Steak ~ ~Romaine & Cabbage Salad with Mandarin Oranges & Toasted Sliced Almonds~ ~Jasmine Rice with Peas & Coriander~
These flavors will satisfy your desire for a Hong Kong Steak almost as well as a stroll into a Steak House overlooking Kowloon. Of course, there are other attractions along the way that we can’t mimic here, but the food will almost make you see Sampans and Ferries on that picturesque bay before your very eyes. Serves 4
Grilled Asian Steak
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. grated garlic
- 1 tsp. finely ground Chinese 5 spice
- 1 Tbsp. Simply Asian seasoning
- 1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
- 2 Tbsp. organic honey
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 1/4 c. water
- Blend first 12 liquid and seasoning items together in a 2 quart sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool marinade.
- When cool, pour over steaks in large ziplock bag and marinate at least an hour, better refrigerated overnight. Turn bag occasionally to evenly coat steaks.
- Allow steaks to come to room temperature before grilling,
- Heat grill sizzling hot and brush lightly with peanut oil.
- Grill steak, covered, 3 minutes per side (for medium rare) 4(for medium).
- Bring marinade to a boil again and reduce while steaks grill.
- Remove from heat to a warm platter and cover to keep warm and allow steak to rest a few minutes before slicing in inch slices, arrange on platter with rice.
- Drizzle marinade over sliced steaks and rice. Serve.
Romaine & Cabbage Salad…
- 2 c. bite sized romaine
- 2 c. shredded napa cabbage
- 1 c. carrot shreds
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced purple onions
- 1/2 c. julienned pickled beets
- 1 c. mandarin orange segments
- 1/4 c. toasted sliced almonds
- 1 c. french fried chow mien noodles
Jasmine Rice with Peas and Coriander
- 1 c. chicken stock (purchased or homemade; low sodium OK)
- 1 c. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic (fresh OK)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 c. petite peas (frozen or fresh)
- 3 tbsp. minced coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Whole coriander sprigs for garnish * optional
- Stir rice into water and chicken stock to which salt and garlic have been added and bring to a boil
- Add butter. Cover (with lid slightly ajar to avoid boil-overs) and cook over low heat until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender about 20-25 minutes
- Remove from heat, stir in peas, coriander and last tablespoon of butter
- Check and adjust salt. Place on serving platter to anchor sliced steak
- Add steak slices, garnish with whole coriander sprigs if desired and serve. Yum!