Chocolate Cherry Lava Cake
Chocolate Covered Cherries makes these cakes awesome
- As easy to make as “pie”. You can leave out the chocolate cherry and add a plain maraschino cherry to the center as a surprise burst of flavor. Try it, you can do it for your Valentine. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 8 ounces top quality bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 chocolate covered cherry candies
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Butter and lightly flour eight 6-ounce ramekins. Tap out the excess flour. Set the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a double boiler, over simmering water, melt the butter with the chocolate. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the egg yolks, sugar and salt at high speed until thickened and pale.
- Whisk the chocolate until smooth. Quickly fold it into the egg mixture along with the flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins, press chocolate covered cherry into center of each, and bake for 12 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft. Allow cakes to cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10-15 seconds and then un-mold. Serve immediately.
The batter can be made ahead and refrigerated for several hours but bring it to room temperature before baking. Still-cold refrigerated batter will result in under-cooked cakes.
Enjoy this dessert with a glass of Ruby Port.
As a summer dessert omit the chocolate covered cherry and top with fresh red raspberries and a swoosh of whipped cream.
©Barbara A. Ziegler BAPantryGourmet.com 2014 All Rights Reserved