You haven’t really had a chance to appreciate Cream of Chicken Soup until you’ve tried this recipe. It has all the comforting creaminess you crave on a frosty night, but it also has the smoky sweetness of the roasted vegetables and bites of tender roasted chicken.
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut in 2″ chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut in chunks
- 8 medium Brussels sprouts, rinsed,trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ribs celery, strings removed and cut in diagonal slices
- 4 large cloves of fresh garlic, chopped and smashed
- 1/3 tsp. finely minced fresh rosemary
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup half & half
- 1-1/2 cup roasted chicken thigh meat, chopped uniformly in bite sized pieces
- Sour cream and chopped fresh herbs (parsley, etc.)
- Pare vegetables, place in a large mixing bowl and toss well with olive oil, salt, pepper
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in 370°F oven for 80 minutes or until fully cooked. Use parchment or foil to create a pan liner to ease cleaning.
- Meanwhile, briefly sauté celery, rosemary and garlic with a pinch of salt in a bit of olive oil in a soup kettle.
- Add chicken stock, wine and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and keep hot until vegetables are roasted.
- Add roasted vegetables to soup stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor (or with a stick blender or other blender) until smooth . Remember to take care while blending hot liquids not create a scald hazard or an overflow.
- Stir in chopped chicken and half and half and heat to serving temperature. Top each serving with sour cream and herbed toppings as desired for garnish.