Once you feed these potatoes to your hungry eaters, you on the hook forever. They’re always a smash. (No pun intended)
It is sort of like the first time you let them eat chili fries. You really didn’t expect them to like them so much, but there they were, LOVING THEM, and craving a batch at midnight on a night when you knew there was no way… These are easier though, because they fall under the category of side dish, not junk food, so you’re more likely to have these healthier ingredients at home than you are the stuff for chili fries. You’ll be able to use these as a leverage food… “I’ll make you those potatoes if you’ll …”.
- 15 baby red potatoes, washed and prepared for boiling
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. butter divided, 4/2
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c low-fat sour cream (regular is fine, if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1/4 chicken stock (if necessary to “loosen” mashed potatoes) *optional
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. finely ground fresh black pepper
- cayenne pepper or smoky paprika for garnish** optional
- Place potatoes in a large boiler, cover with water, add garlic granules and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes. Check for tenderness. If necessary, cook a few minutes longer until potatoes are fully tender.
- Drain but keep aside a little(about half a cup) cooking liquid.
- Melt 4 tbsp. butter in a medium heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, stir until onion begins to soften.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over onions and give all a good stir to distribute sugar with onion
- Add balsamic vinegar, stir and reduce heat to low and let onions caramelize slowly, stirring often to prevent burning.
- When potatoes are fully tender, roughly smash
- Add sour cream, water (a little at a time as necessary for texture), half & half, salt and pepper and stir. If potatoes are “too stiff” add a little chicken stock or more cooking liquid)
- Add the caramelized onions and stir again, checking and adjusting seasonings
- Garnish if desired
- Serve (extra sour cream on the side) and watch them disappear.