VI. Cannellini Bean Tapenade w/ Black Pepper Soda Cracker
- 1-14 ounce can of Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (the fruiter the better)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of ground dried rosemary, thyme and oregano (chop fine, then mill with the side of a knife using kosher salt for milling agent on a board, or mortar/pestal)
1/2 teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (squeeze of half a lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fresh garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped Calmata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 1 tablespoon diced rinsed baby capers
- a bit of fresh chopped flat leaf parsley and sweet basil (optional)
- Run drained, rinsed beans in a food processor with olive oil, seasonings, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest until mashed but not without texture.
- Add olives and capers and pulse twice to distribute .
- Stir in parsley and basil if desired.
- Serve with Black Pepper Soda Crackers (recipe follows) or crostini (see garlic tomato crostini).
Black Pepper Soda Cracker
- 2 stack packs premium soda crackers
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly ground coarse black pepper
- Lay crackers out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Lightly brush tops with light olive oil
- Sprinkle black pepper over tops
- Bake in a preheated 375°f oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully and DO NOT ALLOW TO BURN OR OVER-BROWN! Cool completely before moving them to a serving plate.
© Barbara A. Ziegler BAPantryGourmet.com 2013 All rights reserved