RoastedCauliflower/Leek and Mushroom Soup Serves 6
Toss together in a large bowl
- 1 large head of cauliflower, broken into spears and stems chopped for roasting
- 2 medium gold potatoes, peeled and chopped for roasting
- 1 medium white onion
- 2-3 leek, sliced length-wise, and rinsed carefully to remove all sand, then chopped
- 1 c. sweet (bell-type) peppers, ribbed and seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced creminni mushrooms
- 3 large cloves grated fresh garlic
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided as called for in process.
- 1 tbs. kosher salt
- 1/2 tbs. freshly ground black pepper
When coated with evoo and garlic, spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in a 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes until veggies are tender and browning.
Place in a food processor with:
- 1 qt. chicken stock (vegetable stock may be used here)
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- Process (pulse) until mixture is smooth, but not without texture
- 2 c. of hot water from rinsed food processor
- 2 cups fat-free 1/2 & 1/2
- Heat until bubbly hot
- Adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, etc).
- Serve with a dollop of low-fat sour cream and a crusty, rustic bread.
On a wintry night, this soup is perfect for a first course for a special company dinner featuring a heavy meat entrée, a simple vegetable and a lovely Pinot Noir wine from Oregon’s Willamette Valley. Or in big bowls, with a rustic bread along side, with or without wine, it is dinner all by itself.