This nourishing and easy soup is the product of bits of this and that;
left overs and odds and ends of goodies you have left from snack times and sports event entertaining. It is a good way to clean out and use up the tads of leftover condiments and produces a meal that you’ll be asked to produce again and again. So, pay attention to the elements you include and make quick notes. This is a “suggestive” recipe not one we’ll expect you to follow to the letter. It is adaptation at its best. Do it proudly. It will be a “go to” idea you’ll use over and over, a family favorite and a company worthy delight and you don’ t need to confess to anyone how easy it was to achieve this kind of fabulous meal. As a diabetic alternative recipe, reduce rice and tortilla content by half.
REMEMBER: LEFT OVERS!!!
Tortilla Soup Serves 6 to 8
Sauté vegetables together in evoo until celery is tender and onion is translucent. The carrots will still be crisp. That’s the way you want them. Add tomatoes and garlic at the last and stir to incorporate and heat to warm. Do not overcook!
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 1 cup diced onion (any color)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 crushed/chopped clove garlic
Add cooked chicken, rice, quesso and salsa verde, diced tomatoes and heat together until bubbly
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup jarred quesso dip with peppers
- 1/2 cup jarred salsa verde
Add chicken stock, salt and tortillas then simmer for no more than 10 minutes.
Garnish with crushed tortilla chips and jalapeños. Serve sour cream and cilantro along side steamy bowls of soup.
- 4 cups chicken stock (heated to a boil)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 chopped corn tortillas or 1 1/2 c. crushed tortilla chips
- Extra crushed tortilla chips and 1/2 c. diced pickled (or fresh) jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup sour cream
- Chopped Cilantro (optional)
A great beer, a frozen margarita or a tall frozen lemonade and this is dinner. Nice to add (but only if you have it on hand) chopped avocado or guacamole.
Graciously accept the rave reviews!