Arroz con Cítrico – Spanish Rice with Citrus Salad
This makes a wonderful summer salad for 8 by adding 3 c. of torn baby romaine lettuce, 1/4 c. orange juice and 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil. Toss as any salad and serve at room temperature. Yum!
Ingredients and Process Serves 6
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1 1/2 cup short grain white rice (*jasmine, pearl, basmati, etc.)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground chili pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch red pepper flakes
*brown rice may be substituted
- Stir together in a large boiler, sautéing onion and peppers with rice until vegetables are soft.
- Then add:
- 1-3/4 c. chicken stock
- 1/2 c, fresh orange juice
- 1/2 c. madera wine (or water
- 1/4 c. diced fresh jalapeño pepper
- 4 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Add to rice and vegetables, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add butter and cook very slowly for 20 minutes until rice is tender, stirring once or twice during cooking to keep rice from sticking.
- Cool rice slightly then stir in the citrus components
- 1/2 cup orange segments
- 1/2 cup grapefruit segments
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tbsp. diced cilantro
Serve immediately with chopped cilantro for garnish.
While not in the citrus family, additions of Mango and Avocado elevate this salad to holiday status.
Without lettuce and dressing as a rice side dish. As a side dish, serve hot or room temperature.