This is fabulous as a make-ahead barbecue, picnic or potluck salad through the summer. It offers spicy sweet and salty, with just right the balance of silkiness and acid to make your palate keen on the character of the season. Serves 8-10
- 3 tbs. champagne vinegar
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs. honey (lavender if available)
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil (fruity)
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh gr. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until well mixed. The honey is the emulsifier in this dressing and should hold all the other ingredients together.
- In a large serving bowl, gently toss all except the arugula Salad ingredients together, pour dressing over and stir again taking care not to bruise the fruits.
- Serve arugula on the side for personal addition.
- 6 c. watermelon (small balls or cubes)
- 1 c. garden cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 c. fresh blueberries, washed – stems removed
- 1 cup sliced dried mango (perfect for holding on to the juices)
- 1 c. cubed feta cheese (you may substitute any favorite salty cheese)
- 1 small Sweet Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 c. Baby Arugula