Fresh Pear Clafouti Serves 6 – 8
- 1 cup half & half (or 1 c.whole milk + 2 tbsp. melted butter)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 large barely ripe D’anjou Pears, cored and sliced in wedges.
- 3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbs. good vanilla
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well (300 strokes with a wooden spoon)
- Heat a 12″ cast iron skills with 2 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil over a medium low heat until butter melts and blends with evoo.
- Pour 2/3 clafoutis batter into the hot skillet.
- Arrange brown sugar coated pear slices in a pretty pattern around the batter layer
- Pour remaining batter in a spiral pattern over the fruit
- Remove to preheated 350° F oven and bake for 30- 35 minutes until cake is golden brown on top and set over fruit.
- Remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes in pan, then invert over a suitable serving plate.
- Serve with whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon and strong coffee.