Arroz con cítrico – Spanish Rice with Citrus
Ingredients and Process Serves 6
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cup short grain white rice (jasmine, pearl, basmati, etc.)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground chili pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch red pepper flakes
- Stir together in a large boiler, sautéing onion and peppers with rice until vegetables are soft.
- Then add:
- 1-3/4 c. chicken stock
- 1/2 c, fresh orange juice
- 1/2 c. madera wine (or water)
- 4 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Add to rice and vegetables, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add butter and cook very slowly for 20 minutes until rice is tender, stirring once or twice during cooking to keep rice from sticking.
- Cool rice slightly then stir in the citrus components
- 1/2 cup orange segments
- 1/2 cup grapefruit segments
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tbsp. diced cilantro
Serve immediately with chopped cilantro for garnish.