Taco Casserole with Beef and Cheese Serves 6
Cook together in a heavy skillet:
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small spanish onion, chopped small (not a dice)
- 6 sweet peppers, seeded & ribbed, chopped small (not diced)
- 8 oz. quality ground beef
While beef with aromatics are cooking, prepare:
- 8 small corn tortillas, divided 6/2
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (evoo)
Cut 6 of the tortillas into 1″x1″ slices and toss together in a bowl with 2 tbsp. evoo. Preheat a heavy skillet then add tortilla slices and heat through until hot, but not crisp. Place the remaining 2 tortillas in a food processor and pulse until they are processed to coarse crumbs.
- 15 oz. can S&W Premium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. Jalapeño pickled peppers, chopped (more if you like hotter) toss with black beans
- 3 0z. each, sharp cheddar, queso fresco and Monterey jack cheese (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 10 oz. can Old El Paso enchilada sauce (or your favorite)
- 4 0z. can of sliced olives
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream (low fat is okay, not non fat)
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato (we prefer grape tomatoes, sliced in half)
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Assemble in a lightly-greased deep casserole dish, in layers, beginning with 3 tbsp enchilada sauce, then cheese, beans, cooked meat, warmed tortilla slices, repeating to end with enchilada sauce.
- Top with reserved cheeses and sliced olives.
- Heat in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Finish with avocado slices, fresh tomato, cilantro and sour cream.
- Serve with citrus rice (see recipe under cloud “Rice Dishes”
- Comer y disfrutar. Eat and enjoy!