Carrot Smoothie Serves 2
- 2 c. sliced (or baby ) carrots cooked in a small amount of water until very soft. (May use raw carrots but requires longer processing in blender)
- 1/2 c. sugar-free orange drink (tang, crystal light, etc)
- 1/2 c. fresh squeezed orange juice (juice of one orange)
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 c. reduced carb orange juice
- Orange Curls for garnish, optional
- 2 c. crushed ice
- While carrots are cooking, put together the juices. This may also be done with raw carrots, but requires longer processing to achieve the desired smoothness
2. Run the cooled carrots in the blender on frappe setting until smooth, add ice and continue to frappe until smooth and beautiful. Top with an orange curl (optional) and enjoy!
(I keep a container of this OJ Drink mixture in the fridge most of the time for when I’m craving the flavor of OJ since regular orange juice is much too high in sugars for me to enjoy it as a refreshing drink. Thus it is totally handy for a carrot smoothie most anytime. I also keep extra carrots standing by in the refrigerator to frappe so I can have a smoothie at a moments notice anytime. It keeps me from having a more “unfriendly” pick-me-up. Just be sure to use cooked carrots within 3 days)
- naturally sweet
- loaded with fiber
- loaded with beta carotene which converts nutrients into vitamin A needed to support absorption and the immune system.
- relatively low in calories
This recipe is so versatile. Just by substituting pineapple juice for the OJ Drink mix, you get a whole new vibe. You can also use frozen pineapple chunks for part of the crushed ice. Next: Add some grated fresh ginger and ginger ice cubes made from a sugar-free ginger green tea for another healthy refresher. Next: make it peach mango by adding chunks of fresh or canned mango and peaches, or ice cubes made with peach-mango green tea from Crystal Light®. Or… get ready now… wait for it… put in a little of all the above, add a little coconut milk and call it a Tropical Sunset Splendor… (float it with a little dark rum for the grown ups and call it a Golden Pina Colada). JUST DON’T FORGET THE CARROTS!
Summer’s coming and these drinks await, not just as a fiber-filled appetite curber but as refreshing drink snacks for you and yours, be they family or friends.