Stuffed Chicken Breast au jus w/Asparagus
This chicken breast meal is portioned and prepared for a 1800 calorie per day dietary goal. it has 375 calories, 17 grams of fat, 25 carbs 32 grams of protien, and 15 sugars. This recipe is also meant to be wheat free. If wheat is not an issue, corn flake crumbs may be substituted for Cheerios® and changes the sugars to 17. The nutritive values include the roasted asparagus and au jus.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken half-breasts cut in half (8 pc.) slit to hold stuffing
- 1/4 c each raw carrots, sweet onion, celery (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium sized fresh sage leaf (or 1/4 tsp. rubbed sage)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. corn meal, or 1 tbsp. crushed tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp. Smart Balance® spread
- 1 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 cup crushed Cheerios® crumbs
Whisk together until mustard is combined, heat in microwave.
- 1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon, crushed to granular
- Place the vegetables, herbs, Smart Balance® and corn product, in a food processor and pulse until finely minced and sticking together somewhat. Set aside.
- Pat chicken portions as dry as possible and season with salt and pepper
- Place a “scant” 2 tbsp. stuffing inside each chicken portion and secure with a toothpick.
- Brush the chicken lightly with the olive oil mayo and roll in cereal crumbs.
- Spray lightly with Pam® cooking spray and bake, uncovered, for 16-20 minutes in a 400°F oven (or until internal temperature reaches 165°. Cover and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Spoon 1 tbsp. heated seasoned chicken broth on plates center to position chicken portion; place *Microwave Roasted Asparagus along side the broth puddle and place chicken in center. If you’d like, Pan Roasted Baby Carrots are also a nice addition to this plate but are not pictured here. The recipe is available under Vegetable Sides and Light & Healthy on this website.
- Wash prep asparagus for cooking as usual. Brush a barely saturated with melted butter spread pastry brush and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap in wet paper towel and cook for 1 minute in the microwave. Check for doneness and continue to “roast” in the microwave in 10 second increment until done. Keep crisp tender.