Sausage and Beans Boats Serves 4
- 1 -22 oz. can Bush “Grillin’ Beans with bourbon…®” (or your favorite baked beans)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (the fruiter the better) (evoo)
- 4 Adelle’s Chicken Apple Sausages, cut into rings (or your favorite chicken sausage)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet peppers (mixed colors) finely chopped
- 4 slices of applewood smoked bacon (optional)
- 2 dashes of sriracha if you like spicy (optional)
- 4 oval shaped bakery sandwich rolls, sliced in half and some of the insides removed to make them “boat-like”.
- 2tbsp. evoo + 1 tbsp melted butter + 1/2 tsp. crushed fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped +
- 1 small tomato, diced and topped with bottled Italian dressing
- Sauté onions, peppers, bacon in olive oil until peppers are beginning to soften
- Add sausage rings and 1/4 c. of the breadcrumbs you’ve removed from the “boats”(and if you wish, sriracha)
- Cook and stir until some of the sausage rings begin to brown, then add the beans.
- Brush inside bottoms of “boat” with garlic oil, stack and wrap in foil
- Heat in 350° F oven for 8-10 minutes while sausage and beans heat through.
- When all is hot, fill boats with sausage beans and top with chopped tomatoes/parsley garnish and serve.
A small side salad, or one of crunchy raw vegetables or a piece of fresh fruit completes this meal.