As a colorful contrast as a side for eggs at brunch or a sandwich at lunch, this “salad” is the perfect compliment to just about any light meal you are serving. With the availability of lovely tomatoes nearly all year, you can enjoy this salad year round. With a grilled chicken breast and steamed green beans or broccoli, you’ve got a dinner that’s light on fat and calories, loaded with protein and fiber, delicious and good for you in the same moment (and the Basil Tomatoes make the meal).
Basil Tomatoes Serves 6
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced length-wise into 5 slices each
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice + a pinch of lemon zest
- t tsp. sugar* (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp. torn sweet basil leaves
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (the fruiter, the better)
- Arrange tomato slices on a serving platter in a single layer.
- Blend all the other ingredients together briefly in a small food processor or blender jar then drizzle over the tomatoes. Serve at room temperature.