Cheese and Blueberry Waffles Serves 6
- 1/2 c. small curd cottage cheese
- 4 cups pancake mix
- 1/2 dried blueberries
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Stir baking soda and powder into pancake mix and set aside.
(For the record here, we’re adding the leavening ingredients to pancake mix because we are adding some heavy ingredients and extra leavening will insure that our waffles are light and crispy.)
Measure the liquid ingredients together with the exception of the water. Warm 1/2 c. of the water and soak blueberries while measuring and gathering ingredients. Keep the rest of the water separate.
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (add to 2% milk to create “Buttermilk”)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup water(more or less, to achieve proper consistency for your waffle iron)
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir 8 to 10 strokes, add soaked blueberries and add water , 1/4 cup at a time, until the correct consistency of batter is achieved for your waffle machine.
- Spray waffle machine with nonstick spray and fill to about 3/4 full and bake until pastry is golden brown. (the steam will stop coming from the machine)
- Keep waffles warm in a 200°F oven, placing waffles directly onto the rack until all the baked goods are done then serve with sweet butter and pure maple syrup. Scrambled eggs on the side is a nice addition. YUM!
©Barbara Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet 2013 All Rights Reserved