This hurry-up and easy dinner puts a family favorite on the table in no time. It is as easy as Hamburger Helper® and easy to adjust the ingredients in this recipe to fit your family’s tastes and their tolerance for spicy foods, though this recipe would only hit “medium” on the heat scale. Serves 4
Brush both sides of 12 yellow corn tortillas lightly with oil, and place in a covered heavy pan in a 350° F oven while filling is prepared.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red peppers
- 2 tbs. chopped pickled or fresh Jalapeño Peppers.
- 1 can or 14 oz. cooked black beans, drained (and rinsed)
- 1/4 c. green salsa
- 1/4 c. grated cheese ( jack, cheddar, what have you, or bottled queso)
- 1/2 tsp. sriracha
- 1 tsp. each, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. each, ground chipotle pepper, cumin, granulated garlic, dried cilantro.
Break up the ground beef into small pieces in a hot, heavy skillet with olive oil. Cook and stir until beef is about half cooked, about 4-5 minutes then add in seasonings. Add onions, peppers and continue to cook another couple of minutes then add the black beans, green salsa, Sriracha . Continue to cook until all is heated through.
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- Shred 1 c. cheese (your pick)
Toss all (except cheese) together in a serving bowl (when we eat buffet style, I use the skillet I cooked the meat in), place the hot tortillas on a platter, pass around the table to the family to put together themselves.
Serve with the shredded cheese, sour cream and bottled salsa. A side of rice is nice and Sorbet for dessert makes you a superhero.
Quick and doesn’t dirty up the kitchen very much even if you serve a side of rice and a dessert of Raspberry or Peach Sorbet. YUM +!
NOTE: Optional nice additions to the mix are chopped mango and avocado. You can’t get any better than that.
Love you all!
©Barbara Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet 2013 • all rights reserved