Flourless Chocolate Cake finished with Mascarpone (or Cream Cheese) Icing
You need: A 9-inch-diameter spring form pan
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (preferred), cut into 1-inch pieces, plus more, room temperature, for pan
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided, plus more for pan 10 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (61%-72% cacao), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsps. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla (+ seeds from a vanilla bean if you have)
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt (if salted butter is used, reduce salt to1/2 tsp.)
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mascarpone (or cream cheese)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter spring form pan and dust with sugar, tapping out any excess.
- Combine chocolate, oil, and ½-cup butter in a large heatproof bowl.
- Set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat, stirring often, until melted. Remove bowl from saucepan.
- Separate 4 eggs, placing whites and yolks in separate medium bowls.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining 2 eggs to bowl with yolks and whisk until mixture is smooth
- Gradually whisk yolk mixture into chocolate mixture, blending well.
- Using an electric mixer on slow setting to start, then at highest setting, whip egg whites until frothy. With mixer running, gradually a 1/2 cup sugar; whip until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture in 2 additions, folding just until incorporated between additions then scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Smooth top and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until cake is puffed, begins to crack and is pulling away from edge of pan, 35-45 minutes
Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool completely in pan (cake will collapse in the center and crack further as it cools. It is supposed to do that). Remove sides of spring form pan*(See DO AHEAD)
- Whip cream slightly then add mascarpone (or cream cheese), and powdered sugar in a medium-sized bowl until soft peaks form.
DO AHEAD: Cake can be made 1 day ahead. * If ‘Done Ahead’ leave cake pan sides on until ready to finish! Cover in pan and store airtight at room temperature
Next day, remove pan sides
- Mound icing in center of cake and spread over the center of cake
- Leave about an inch of the edges exposed and decorate with Cutie® segments or chocolate covered coffee beans (my personal favorite) or what garnish you like, or leave plain.
This cake can stand on it’s own!