Blue Cheese Mac with Mushrooms
All grown up with cultured flavors and the addition of white wine to the sauce, this Mac and Cheese is truly the way to any blue cheese lovers heart. Try it, you’ll love it. With a side of whole green beans and grape tomatoes and a fruit dessert, this great simple, yet sophisticated meal satisfies.
1. Bring a pasta cooker or large boiler 3/4 full of water to a boil and add salt then add the macaroni. Cook for 8 minutes. Don’t over cook! Meanwhile start the sauce.
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp. fresh nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
2. Measure into a two cup microwaveable container and heat for 1 minute on high setting.
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. EVOO
- 1/4 lb. sliced mushrooms (white buttons or cremini)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
3. Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add olive oil. Stir flour, seasonings, into butter and cook briefly to cook flour, but don’t allow browning. Stir in the mustard.
4. Add the warmed liquids all at once and continue to stir until sauce begins to thicken. Add the wine. Cook for two more minutes then add the cheeses and stir until cheeses melt and the sauce is combined.
- 1 tsp. each salt, white pepper and granulated garlic
- 1 cup grated Swiss or Fontina Cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
- 4 oz. lo-fat cream cheese
5. Add the macaroni to the sauce and toss to coat. Place all in a 9 x 18″ buttered casserole. Bake for 22 minutes at 350°F, remove from oven
6. Add topping (below). Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until gorgonzola melts and crumbs are golden.
- 1 cup garlic croutons, crumbled
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
©Barbara A. Ziegler/BAPantryGourmet.com 2013 -A subsidiary of Partridge Press All rights reserved